Problem Fixed: Legacy Cisco VPN Client (v5.0.07)is not working on Windows 10.
Version 5.0.07 is the last version of this client application released by Cisco until they introduced Cisco AnyConnect as their new VPN Client Software.
Workaround: Steps below:
1. Download and install the Sonicwall 64-bit VPN client (Yes, a sonicwall) from HERE (as of this writing). **NOTE: Make sure you are using the latest version of this client. Older versions may not work properly.
If the link doesn’t work try the download links below:
2. Install the Cisco VPN client. Edit: If you get an error that it cannot run on this operating system then just extract the .exe file using WinRar or a similar program and run the .msi file.
Installers can be downloaded from:
- 32-bit Windows 7/Vista/XP VPN Client (version 5.0.07)
- 64-bit Windows 7/Vista/XP VPN Client (version 5.0.07)
- Open Regedit
- Browse to the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CVirtA
- Select the display name to modify:
- x86 – “@oem8.ifn,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” to “Cisco Systems VPN Adapter”
- x64 – “@oem8.ifn,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows” to “Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows”